When it comes to providing optimized health services to aged clients, doing so with the highest standards of quality and benefit is of utmost importance. The goal is to help these individualsage with dignity and to continue to feel their best, despite their age.
While there are a lot of products on the market that can do this for the general population, few meet the demands and cater to the needs of the aging individual. Their needs are different: the nutrient demands are altered, the brain and mental health requirements change, and the goals surrounding preventative health are different as well.
And while other health products may not work, we know the health tea box does: it has been shown to improve cognitive function, support improved gut health, increase energy and reduce stress.
Specially formulated teas, designed with a target purpose and their own unique nutrition profile, these teas are an ideal addition to the daily routine of individuals in aged care living. In fact, in many cases, they are a great alternative to other products which individuals do not enjoy consuming and therefore resist as part of their regular schedule.
Each tea has carefully researched ingredients, all of which serve a specific purpose in being part of the recipe. With this high degree of research behind each one, we are confident that these teas and their contents can help satisfy the requirements of Quality Control Agency Checks:
Hydration at any age is crucial for overall health and wellbeing. In aged care however, it is particularly important because this age group is more susceptible to dehydration:
- Dehydration has shown a decrease in cognitive performance, particularly relevant for the aged population who are typically already suffering cognitive declines
- Adequate hydration can have a positive effect on patient quality of life, including reducing incidence of urinary tract infections, emotional outbursts, and kidney degradation.
The tea is a great way to encourage individuals to stay adequately hydrated, as it is more flavourful than water, is warming and can be part of a ritual and social routine with other facility clients.
The teas as part of the Health Tea Box are designed to be nutritionally rich. They offer a variety of nutrients and health properties which are particularly relevant for the aging population:
- Antioxidants– present in the matcha, turmeric, coconut, and fruit in the teas and important for reducing oxidative stress in the body.
- Anti-inflammatories – turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory which helps reduce inflammation at the cellular level
- Vitamins and Minerals – Vitamin C, found in our teas in the orange zest and kiwi, is an important vitamin for immunity. The immune system in the aging population is sometimes compromised and needs additional nutritional support whenever possible.
- Anti-Cancer – containing licorice, ginseng and turmeric, throughout the blends, all of these ingredients have been shown to have anti-cancer properties, an important consideration for the aging population
- Digestion Enhancement – A healthy gut is at the root of a healthy mind, disease prevention and emotional stability. The tea blends contain several functional digestion promoting ingredients, including fennel, peppermint and rose petals.
Much of the work with the elderly population is in preventative care, working to offer them the appropriate lifestyle choices, such that they can prevent any further decline in their bodies physically and mentally. There are many areas of preventative health which are important to address:
- Sleep– Increased age facilitates a natural decline in sleep requirements. Sleep is still essential however, and our tea contains sleep boosting ingredients, such as Valerian, Chamomile and Lemon Balm.
- Immunity– With a tea designed specifically for immunity, containing antioxidant rich ingredients like orange zest and peppermint, targeting immunity in the elderly is essential for reducing the chance of fatal illness. Other teas include immune boosting benefits from licorice, pomegranate and chamomile.
- Type 2 Diabetes– Many individuals in aged care have pre-existing conditions such as Diabetes. Our teas contain antioxidants and ingredients such as Turmeric, Ginseng and Coconut which help address these diseases at the root cause and mitigate their negative effects. The antioxidant properties from licorice, and adaptogen benefits from rhodiola are also critical players in addressing chronic illnesses such as diabetes.
- Cardiovascular Distress– A prominent concern amongst the elderly population, our tea contains ingredients which have been shown to improve cardiovascular function, including Ginseng, Gingko Biloba, Rhodiola and salvia miltorrhiza.
Memory, cognition, and mental health are all top priorities when it comes to bettering the life and wellbeing of the aging population. While genetics and life history play a large role in determining mental health outcomes for an individual, there are many lifestyle changes one can make that can influence these outcomes positively, and act as preventative measures towards further declines. Two of our blends in particular – Cognitive Assist and our Afternoon/Evening blend – target cognitive and mental health. They assist with stress adaptation, promotion of clarity of thought and strengthening of memory. They contain ingredients such as:
- Red Ginseng – offers cognitive benefits to patients with Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Gingko Biloba – effective and safe long-term for patients with dementia
- Huperzia Serrata -– derived from Huperzine A, which helps improve behavioural disturbances and general cognitive function
The ingredients used as part of the Health Tea Box are all natural and plant-derived and the teas contain no added sugar, artificial flavours or preservatives. In essence, these blends act as a non-pharmaceutical alternative to fighting and preventing health degradation and disease which commonly affects aging individuals.
Baby Boomers are filling an increasingly larger percentage of those looking for aged care, but members of this demographic are unique in that they enter aged care educated in natural health practices, and in many cases with the desire to help themselves through natural health solutions. The Health Tea Box is the answer to this, with research-backed ingredients and multiple health benefits behind it.
Aging is an inevitable part of the life trajectory. It doesn’t however, have to be an unpleasant and difficult one. Through proper nutrition and exercise, the use of health promoting products like a Health Tea Box, and through the care and commitment of the generous aged care workers, these individuals can maintain a high quality of life into their final days.
“The use of natural ingredients offers a holistic approach to helping aging individuals, allowing them to gain benefits across their whole body – from brain and memory to joints to inability to sleep. Natural alternatives encourage health issues to be targeted at the root cause, not simply through a band-aid solution that may stop working or have other negative consequences. Furthermore, drinking tea is a simple integration into the daily routine of most people, and it tastes delicious!”